Definition of Picture element
1. Noun. (computer science) the smallest discrete component of an image or picture on a CRT screen (usually a colored dot). "The greater the number of pixels per inch the greater the resolution"
Generic synonyms: Component, Constituent, Element
Group relationships: Raster
Category relationships: Computer Science, Computing
Medical Definition of Picture element
Picture Element Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Picture Element Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Picture Element
Literary usage of Picture element
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Exploring the Moon and Mars: Choices for the Nation (1992)
"It will be able to acquire an image of the entire planet at any resolution between 2 and 7.5 kilometers per picture element in a single 24-hour period, ..."
2. Nasa Patents Available for Licensing from the George C. Marshall Space ... (1992)
"The computer calculates the X, Y, Z-coordinates relative to the observer for the contents of each picture element of the scene televised by the object ..."
3. Federal Records Management Glossary by Richard A. Wire (1998)
"picture element. The smallest dot, or image element, ... See picture element. PLANETARY CAMERA. A type of microfilm camera in which the document being ..."
4. Exposition and Illustration in Teaching by John Adams (1910)
"But if we are dealing diagrammatically with a question of quantity, and the picture element introduces the question of quality, the pictorial influence is ..."
5. Advertising, Its Principles and Practice by Harry Tipper (1919)
"... non-suggestive, pretty, finished and even overdone representation of things to get any satisfactory idea from the illustrative or picture element. ..."