Definition of Phyla
1. Noun. (plural of phylum) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Phyla
1. phylum [n] - See also: phylum
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phyla Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phyla
Literary usage of Phyla
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"THE PRINCIPAL phyla OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM The principal phyla of the animal kingdom as outlined in the following paragraphs are presented in this place ..."
2. A Text-book of Zoology by Thomas Jeffery Parker, William Aitcheson Haswell (1921)
"It will be advantageous in concluding our survey of the animal kingdom to sum up with a few remarks as to the phylogeny of the primary groups or phyla, ..."
3. A Manual of Zoology by Thomas Jeffery Parker, William Aitcheson Haswell (1905)
"And, finally, the various phyla recognised by zoologists together constitute the ... Thus the animal kingdom is divided into phyla, the phyla into classes, ..."
4. Report of the Annual Meeting (1896)
"And this is not mere negative evidence, but positive evidence of the most unmistakable character. All the five Coelomate phyla which occur fossil appear low ..."
5. The History of Creation: Or, The Development of the Earth and Its by Ernst Heinrich Philipp August Haeckel (1883)
"Construction of Pedigrees.—Descent of all Many- Celled from Single-Celled Organisms.—Descent of Cells from Monera.— Meaning of Organic Tribes, or phyla. ..."
6. Essentials of College Botany by Charles Edwin Bessey, Ernst Athearn Bessey (1914)
"It includes more than 132000 known species, that is, more than all the other phyla together. 511. The Anthophyta probably were derived from the ..."
7. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1896)
"The alternative supposition, that one or more of the Metazoan phyla were introduced in this way while the others were evolved from the terrestrial Protozoa, ..."