Definition of Perithelium
1. Noun. Tissue layer around small blood vessels.
Medical Definition of Perithelium
1. The connective tissue that surrounds smaller vessels and capillaries. Eberth's perithelium, an incomplete layer of connective tissue cells encasing the blood capillaries. Origin: peri-+ G. Thele, nipple (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Perithelium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Perithelium
Literary usage of Perithelium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Medical Research by American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists (1902)
"Eberth, in 1870, was the originator of the term perithelium to apply to " the highly ... Among others who have studied the perithelium, Kolaczek recognized ..."
2. A Text-book of Pathology by William George MacCallum (1916)
"It seems that the conception of perithelium is accepted passively by every writer and ... I have searched in vain for perithelium, or even for any clear ..."
3. The British Journal of Dermatology by British Association of Dermatology (1903)
"The endothelium had proliferated and also the perithelium and the tunica media was thickened and had undergone hyaline degeneration. ..."
4. Diagnostics of the Fundus Oculi by Edward Leroy Oatman (1920)
"These tumors are supposed to develop from the perithelium of the blood vessels. The perithelium is a single layer of flat ..."
5. Transactions of the Pathological Society of London by Pathological Society of London (1887)
"The vessels of the brain, lymphatic glands, serous membranes and testis, possess what is called a perithelium, ie the adventitia is invested with ..."
6. Diseases of the Skin: A Textbook for Students and Practitioners by J. M. H. MacLeod (1921)
"According to one theory the cells are of connective tissue origin and derived from the fixed tissue of the corium, namely, the endothelium, perithelium and ..."
7. Skin Cancer by Henry Honeyman Hazen (1916)
"The perithelium is the outer lining of the adventitia of blood vessels, ... are the tumors arising from the perithelium and not from the lymph space, ..."