Definition of Perionychia
1. perionychium [n] - See also: perionychium
Medical Definition of Perionychia
1. 1. Inflammation of the perionychium. Synonym: perionyxis. 2. Plural of perionychium. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Perionychia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Perionychia
Literary usage of Perionychia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgical after-treatment: a manual of the conduct of surgical convalescence by Le Roi Goddard Crandon (1910)
"PARONYCHIA AND perionychia If the septic process involves the sulcus from which the nail arises. it tends to become chronic, with deformity of the nail ..."
2. The Student's manual of venereal diseases by Berkeley Hill, Arthur Cooper (1886)
"perionychia.—One form arises from the extension of a papular ... An inflammatory form of perionychia begins with indolent, dull red swelling of the parts ..."
3. Diseases of the Skin: A Textbook for Students and Practitioners by J. M. H. MacLeod (1921)
"Another rare manifestation of syphilis is a moist ulcerating perionychia, ... In some instances the purulent perionychia may have started from some local ..."
4. Diseases of the Skin by Henry Martin Dearborn, Frederick Myers Dearborn (1906)
"perionychia attacks the fingers and toes about equally, ... Considerable pain and annoyance may attend ulcerative perionychia, and the outcome is always ..."
5. A Compound of genito-urinary diseases and syphilis, including their surgery by Charles Solomon Hirsch (1906)
"There are three forms of perionychia—ulcerative, nonulcerative, and a diffused form. ... Syphilitic perionychia is very persistent in its course and may be ..."