Definition of Paramilitary unit
1. Noun. A group of civilians organized in a military fashion (especially to operate in place of or to assist regular army troops).
Specialized synonyms: Fedayeen, Fedayeen Saddam, Saddam's Martyrs
Generic synonyms: Force, Personnel
Derivative terms: Paramilitary
Paramilitary Unit Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Paramilitary Unit Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Paramilitary Unit
Literary usage of Paramilitary unit
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United Nations: Limitations in Leading Missions Requiring Force to Restore Peace by DIANE Publishing Company, Joseph C. Brown (1997)
"For example, when the Scorpion paramilitary unit occupied oil fields in Eastern Slavonia, UNTAES first expressed its concern and told the paramilitary unit ..."
2. Cutting Off the Serpent's Head: Tightening Control in Tibet, 1994-1995by Tibet Information Network, Robert Barnett, Human Rights Watch/Asia, Human Rights Watch (Organization) by Tibet Information Network, Robert Barnett, Human Rights Watch/Asia, Human Rights Watch (Organization) (1996)
"Wujing (Chinese) - People's Armed Police, a paramilitary unit formed in 1983. xian (Chinese) - county, the middle level administrative unit. ..."
3. The "sixth Division": Military-paramilitary Ties and U.S. Policy in Colombia by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Joanne Mariner, Malcolm Smart (2001)
"Four villagers were then taken to the road leading to the cemetery and executed.153 The same paramilitary unit continued detaining people until November 24, ..."
4. Under Orders: War Crimes in Kosovo by Fred Abrahams (2001)
"One man named "Dragan" said he fought with the Pitbull Terrier paramilitary unit, which was comprised of boxers from his home town in Niksic, Montenegro, ..."
5. Angola: Arms Trade and Violations of the Laws of War Since the 1992 by Arms Project (Human Rights Watch), Human Rights Watch/Africa (1994)
"The MPLA also created the "Emergency Police"—a highly trained, armed paramilitary unit, popularly known as the "Ninjas." Originally 4000 strong ..."
6. Open Wounds: Human Rights Abuses in Kosovo by Julie Mertus, Vlatka Mihelić (1993)
"... a notorious paramilitary unit suspected of committing war crimes in Croatia and Bosnia-Hercegovina. ..."
7. War Crimes in Bosnia-Hercegovina by Helsinki Watch (Organization : U.S.), Helsinki Watch, Helsinki Watch (Organization : U.S., Ivana Nizich (1993)
"He said that he was aware that a paramilitary unit had come into our home and that he had come to see what should be done with us. ..."