Definition of Papua new guinea
1. Noun. A parliamentary democracy on the eastern half of the island of New Guinea; in 1975 it became an independent state within the Commonwealth of Nations.
Group relationships: British Commonwealth, Commonwealth Of Nations
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Terms within: Bismarck Archipelago, Bougainville, Papua, Capital Of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby
Group relationships: New Guinea
Definition of Papua new guinea
1. Proper noun. A country in Oceania. Official name: Independent State of Papua New Guinea. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Papua new guinea
1. A country consisting of the eastern half of the island of new guinea and adjacent islands, including new britain, new ireland, the admiralty islands, and new hanover in the bismarck archipelago; bougainville and buka in the northern solomon islands; the d'entrecasteaux and trobriand islands; woodlark (murua) island; and the louisiade archipelago. It became independent on september 16, 1975. Formerly, the southern part was the Australian territory of papua, and the northern part was the un trust territory of new guinea, administered by Australia. They were administratively merged in 1949 and named papua and new guinea, and renamed papua new guinea in 1971. (12 Dec 1998)
Papua New Guinea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Papua New Guinea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papua New Guinea
Literary usage of Papua new guinea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Australia by Peter Needham, Committee Development Assistance, Development Assistance Committee (1996)
"papua new guinea, these conditions are not yet fully in place. Australia, as the largest player in what is still a relatively small group of donors, ..."
2. Criminal Victimisation in the Developing World edited by Ugljesa Zvekic, Anna Alvazzi Del Frate (1996)
"5 Executive Secretary, The National Law, Order and Justice Council, Boroko, Papua New Guinea. 6 Research Co-ordinator, UNICRI. 7 Research Officer, UNICRI. ..."
3. Model Tax Convention on Income and on Capitalby Oecd, Organisation for Economic Co-operation, (Paris) Organisation for Economic Co-ope, OECD Staff, Development. by Oecd, Organisation for Economic Co-operation, (Paris) Organisation for Economic Co-ope, OECD Staff, Development. (2000)
"United Kingdom - papua new guinea (1991) Article 23 3. For the purposes of paragraph 1 of this Article, the term "papua new guinea tax payable" shall be ..."
4. The South Sea Islanders and the Queensland Labour Trade: A Record of Voyages by William T. Wawn (1893)
"(d) Residential and business sites for Papuans and New Guineans in all towns of papua new guinea. Unity of papua new guinea (a) papua new guinea as one ..."
5. A Meta-analysis of Rates of Return to Agricultural R&D: Ex Pede Herculem? by Julian M. Alston (2000)
"Appraisal of the expected economic effects of research undertaken in oil palm in papua new guinea. Research Bulletin No. 47. ..."
6. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 1997: Hearing Before the by DIANE Publishing Company (2000)
"What is the official policy toward West Papua, New Guinea, Mr. Secretary? And I rather would appreciate if this should not be taken in terms of passing the ..."