Definition of Palau
1. Noun. A republic in the western central Pacific Ocean in association with the United States.
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Group relationships: Belau, Palau Islands, Pelew
2. Noun. A chain of more than 200 islands about 400 miles long in the western central Pacific Ocean.
Terms within: Republic Of Palau, Tt
Generic synonyms: Archipelago
Group relationships: Pacific, Pacific Ocean
Definition of Palau
1. Proper noun. A country in Oceania. Official name: Republic of Palau. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Palau
1. A republic consisting of a group of about 100 islands and islets in the western pacific ocean. Its capital is koror. Under spain it was administered as a part of the caroline islands but was sold to germany in 1899. Seised by japan in 1914, it was taken by the allies in world war II in 1944. In 1947 it became part of the u.s. Trust territory of the pacific islands, became internally self-governing in 1980, obtained independent control over its foreign policy (except defense) in 1986, and achieved total independence october 1, 1994. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Palau Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Palau
Literary usage of Palau
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"palau Legislation to accede to the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty has been introduced in palau's House of Representatives. At a recent regional meeting of ..."
2. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1879)
"... from the palau Islands. By WILLUM MACLEAY, FLS, &c. Plate 19 B. The very remarkable fish described in this paper, and figured on plate 19 B, ..."
3. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"palau While UNICEF reported in March 2000 that legislation to accede to the ... palau was absent from the vote on UN General Assembly Resolution 55/33V, ..."
4. Universal Pronouncing Dictionary of Biography and Mythology by Joseph Thomas (1901)
"published " Reisen in Archipel der Philippinen," (1867- 72,) " Die Philippinen," etc., (1869,) " Die palau-Inseln," etc., (1873,) :uu' a'so wrote much on ..."
5. A Sixteenth-Century Spanish Bookstore: The Inventory of Juan De Junta by William A. Pettas (1995)
"palau (146630) reports a 1545 Salamanca edition, but no copy is known, ... palau, 14723. Juan de Junta published earlier folio editions of this in Burgos, ..."
6. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"palau The Constitution provides for freedom of religion, and the Government respects this right in practice. There was no change in the status of ..."