Definition of Osaka
1. Noun. Port city on southern Honshu on Osaka Bay; a commercial and industrial center of Japan.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center, Port
Group relationships: Hondo, Honshu, Japan, Nihon, Nippon
Definition of Osaka
1. Proper noun. a city in Honsh?, Japan. ¹
2. Proper noun. a prefecture, Japan. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Osaka Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Osaka
Literary usage of Osaka
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Handbook for Travellers in Japan: Including the Whole Empire from Yezo to by Basil Hall Chamberlain, W. B. Mason, John Murray (Firm) (1901)
"Tun Crrv or osaka. osaka, also pronounced osaka, * reached by the ... The earliest use of the name osaka occurs In a document dating. from the end of the ..."
2. Baptist Missionary Magazine by American Baptist Foreign Mission Society (1907)
"AN ORDINATION IN JAPAN AN IMPORTANT EVENT AT osaka OCTOBER 15, 1906, will be a date not soon forgotten by the osaka Baptists, for on that day Mr. Takeda, ..."
3. Japan, the New World-power: Being a Detailed Account of the Progress and by Robert Percival Porter (1915)
"The political and militant classes looked upon osaka as a sort of reservoir of food products, equipments, ... osaka is much too important a centre of in- ..."
4. Catalogue of Japanese Printed Books and Manuscripts in the Library of the by Robert Kennaway Douglas (1898)
"A Map of the celebrated Places on the Sea-route between osaka and Nagasaki." [1800 ? ... An enlarged and improved Map of osaka in the Province of ..."
5. General View of Commerce & Industry in the Empire of Japan by Japan Nōshōmushō. Shōkōkyoku (1893)
"Higashi- ku, osaka. ... osaka. Articles of Import. China, India, and America Cotton. Raw Cotton. Cotton on the seeds. Bombay Cotton, and America Cotton. ..."