Definition of Onondaga
1. Noun. A member of the Iroquoian people formerly living between Lake Champlain and the Saint Lawrence River.
2. Noun. The Iroquoian language spoken by the Onondaga.
Definition of Onondaga
1. Noun. One of a Native American tribe originally inhabiting (w Onondaga County, New York). ¹
2. Proper noun. Their language. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Onondaga Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Onondaga
Literary usage of Onondaga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the by Frank Place (1860)
"It was named from the onondaga tribe of Indians, whose principal residence was ... The third range, between the valleys of Butternut and onondaga Creeks, ..."
2. The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries by John Austin Stevens, Benjamin Franklin DeCosta, Martha Joanna Lamb, Henry Phelps Johnston, Nathan Gilbert Pond, William Abbatt (1877)
"9 THE FRENCH INVASIONS OF onondaga I WAS much interested in reading Mr. OH Marshall's article in the January number of THE MAGAZINE OF AMERICAN HISTORY, ..."
3. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1907)
"Investigation of necessity for expenditures on onondaga salt springs. ... Rept. of onondaga salt on expedience of reducing expenses of office. 2 pp. ..."
4. Historical Collections of the State of New York: Containing a General by John Warner Barber, Henry Howe (1842)
"Asa Danforth and Comfort Tyler to establish themselves at onondaga Hollow. “It was in this ‘hollow' that the principal town and castle of the onondaga ..."
5. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by Charles Anderson Dana (1875)
"Their territory extended from Deep Spring near Manlius, onondaga co., W. to a line between Cross and Otter lakes. The onondagas were early at war with the ..."
6. The American Bar by James Clark Fifield (1918)
"onondaga Co. Bar Ass'n. Firm is counsel for: Syracuse Savings Bank, .... Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity; onondaga Co., NY State, and American Bar Ass'ns. ..."