Definition of Onion roll
1. Noun. Yeast-raised roll flavored with onion.
Onion Roll Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Onion Roll Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Onion Roll
Literary usage of Onion roll
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Gently with the Tides: The Best of Living Aboard by Michael L. Frankel (1990)
"... onion slices and mayonnaise on a croissant; o Cold sliced pork, German potato salad, scallions and horseradish on an onion roll; o Corn beef ..."
2. The Cook's Own Book and Housekeeper's Register: Being Receipts for Cooking by N. K. M. Lee, Mrs N K M Lee (1842)
"Cut thin steaks, longer than they are broad, off a rump ; beat them with a rolling-pin ; season them with pepper, salt, and finely minced onion ; roll and ..."
3. The New Practical Housekeeping: A Compilation of New, Choice and Carefully by Estelle Woods Wilcox (1890)
"Cut cold beef, or any kind of cold meat into very small square bits, season well with salt, pepper and a little gravy and chopped onion. Roll out a nice ..."
4. The Monthly Magazine by Richard Phillips (1796)
"While the clerks were calling over the onion roll of peerage, the earl of Lauder- uiis tendered a ..."
5. The Practice of Cookery: Adapted to the Business of Every Day Life by Dalgairns (1830)
"... free from skin and sinews, beat them with a rollingpin, season them with pepper, salt, and a very little finely-minced onion; roll up each steak; ..."
6. King's Daughters Cook Book: 680 Recipes by King's Daughters Society (Duluth, Minn.), Stone-Ordean-Wells Company (1916)
"Cut sirloin or round steak in 2-inch strips ; place on each a thin slice of bacon and a very thin slice of onion. Roll up and pin with a Wampum toothpick. ..."
7. Teaching for Deep Comprehension: A Reading Workshop Approach by Linda J. Dorn, Carla Soffos (2005)
"... Eloise Greenfield (Harper Trophy) Lizzards, Frogs, and Polliwogs, Douglas Florian (Scholastic) Mrs. Cole on an onion roll and Other School Poems, ..."
8. Balancing Reading & Language Learning: A Resource for Teaching English by Mary Cappellini (2005)
"Mrs. Cole on an onion roll and Other School Poems by Kalli Dakos. Scholastic, 1995. Sometimes I Wonder if Poodles Like Noodles by Laura Numeroff. ..."