Definition of One-third
1. Noun. One of three equal parts of a divisible whole. "It contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: One-third Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of One-third
Literary usage of One-third
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Thirty Years' View: Or, A History of the Working of the American Government by Thomas Hart Benton (1856)
"The true propor- tion is one-third, and this to apply to all tilt- ... Thu*. the average proportion of one-third between the specie on hand and the ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"This is the distance from one-third up the round of the beam at the bottom to ... This total is then multiplied ty one-third of the equal vertical distance ..."
3. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1888)
"... but at not less than the appraised value thereof, and upon the following terms: one third cash in hand on the day of sale, one third in one year, ..."
4. The Papers of James Madison: Purchased by Order of the Congress, Being His by James Madison (1840)
"It would be a satisfactory answer to this objection, that as one-third would go out ... On the question for nine years, one-third to go out triennially ..."
5. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: From by Great Britain Court of Chancery, John Scott Eldon (1827)
"The rule of the Court for- one-third of merly was, that the tenant for life should contribute to the fine for re- tne expence of renewal in every case, ..."
6. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1911)
"The aforesaid one-third Interest of said lot conveyed to John Nort shall be during his natural life, and after his death to his children ; and, ..."
7. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1887)
"A one third part of my land at chesnut hill, & hälfe my land at magus hill within fence, & hälfe my land one the north side of my fenced land A after ye ..."
8. United States Statutes at Large: Containing the Laws and Concurrent by United States (1859)
"For one third of the last of twenty instalments in money, per second article treaty ... For one-third of fifteenth of twenty-five instalments in goods, ..."