Definition of Ondatra zibethica
1. Noun. Beaver-like aquatic rodent of North America with dark glossy brown fur.
Generic synonyms: Gnawer, Rodent
Group relationships: Genus Ondatra, Ondatra
Ondatra Zibethica Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ondatra Zibethica Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ondatra Zibethica
Literary usage of Ondatra zibethica
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller (1912)
"15, p. 119. June 2, 1902. TYPE LOCALITY.—Carlsbad (Eddy), Eddy County, New Me RANGE.—Pecos Valley, in Texas and New Mexico. t* ondatra zibethica ..."
2. Description of a New Species of Sea Snake from the Philippine Islands: With by John Van Denburgh, Joseph Cheesman Thompson (1908)
"Synonym—ondatra zibethica mergens. Range—Extreme eastern part of Modoc region: ... Synonym—ondatra zibethica pallida. Range—Colorado River and tributary ..."
3. The Natural History of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada by Canadian Institute (1849-1914), Joseph Horace Faull (1913)
"ondatra zibethica zibethica (Linnaeus). Still common. 9. White-footed Mouse. Peromyscus leucopus noveboracensis (Fischer). Common. ..."
4. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science by Indiana Academy of Science (1922)
"Muskrat (ondatra zibethica Linneaus) : Some muskrats are said to be trapped for their skins each winter, being found in the ..."
5. The Visitor, Or, Monthly Instructor by Religious Tract Society (Great Britain) (1845)
"... (ondatra zibethica). Though this animal is abundant in the high latitudes of North America, from lat. 30° to 60°, and thousands of its skins are ..."