Definition of Norway
1. Noun. A constitutional monarchy in northern Europe on the western side of the Scandinavian Peninsula; achieved independence from Sweden in 1905.
Group relationships: Nato, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Scandinavia
Generic synonyms: Scandinavian Country, Scandinavian Nation
Terms within: Svalbard, Lofoten, Capital Of Norway, Christiania, Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Nidaros, Trondheim, Lindesnes, Naze, Trondheim Fiord, Trondheim Fjord
Member holonyms: Norse, Norseman, Norwegian
Derivative terms: Norwegian
Definition of Norway
1. Proper noun. One of the Scandinavian countries. Official name: Kingdom of Norway (''Kongeriket Norge'' in Bokmål, or ''Kongeriket Noreg'' in Nynorsk). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Norway Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Norway
Literary usage of Norway
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1905)
"norway :—Atleo to Batalden, including the entrance to Stav fiord. 3118, norway :—Batalden to ... 2317, norway, sheet xv. :—Tana fiord to Varanger fiord. ..."
2. Energy Policies of IEA Countries: 2005 Review by International Energy Agency (2005)
"The economically efficient development of its large oil and gas resources has made norway Europe's largest exporter of petroleum (oil, oil products and ..."
3. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero, Ernest Alfred Benians (1909)
"Sweden and norway were now engaged in hastily cementing the insecure ... According to Bernadotte, norway had been acquired by the Swedish dynasty rather ..."
4. The History of the Norman Conquest of England: Its Causes and Its Results by Edward Augustus Freeman (1877)
"Cnut was everywhere and* ia ° ' welcomed, and he was chosen King of all norway by the ^.0!^n, Thing at Trondhjem, just as he had been, eleven years norway, ..."