¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Nimbyism
1. an attitude of "not in my back yard" [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nimbyism Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nimbyism
Literary usage of Nimbyism
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Education and Capitalism: How Overcoming Our Fear of Markets and Economics by Herbert J. Walberg (2003)
"Exclusive state funding would reward NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yard), with adverse effects on job creation. Keeping funding decentralized is more complex, ..."
2. Creating Wealth from Waste by Robin Murray (1999)
"nimbyism is a concept developed by central planners to describe opposition. But opposition is often universal, even when it is focused around a particular ..."
3. Not in My Back Yard: Removing Barriers to Affordable HousingPolitical Science (1993)
"... sponsor studies of and debate on regulatory reform; and government officials should join with private citizens to address the implications of NIMBYism. ..."
4. The Self-Policing Society by Charles Leadbeater (1996)
"Local residents would be alarmed; house prices might fall. Large prisons offer substantial economies of scale. nimbyism should not be dismissed out of hand. ..."
5. Now Is Too Late 2: Survival in an Era of Instant News by Gerald R. Baron (2006)
"... if there was strong local support and if the state panel was established to permit such facilities without being unduly influenced by "nimbyism," — the ..."
6. Transforming Housing for People with Psychiatric Disabilities by Michael Allen (2007)
"The persistent problem of NIMBYism ("Not In My Back Yard") has limited the number of units of housing available to consumers.* Housing choice for people ..."