Definition of Nimby
1. Noun. Someone who objects to siting something in their own neighborhood but does not object to it being sited elsewhere; an acronym for not in my backyard.
Definition of Nimby
1. Acronym. (Chiefly American English) (alternative spelling of nimby) Not In My BackYard – opposition to building, or people opposed to building. ¹
2. Acronym. (Chiefly American English) Not In My BackYard ¹
3. Noun. (context: usually pejorative) Someone who objects to the building of an undesirable structure in their neighborhood, especially in public policy debate. ¹
4. Adjective. Not wanting to have to deal with unpleasant or distasteful things near them. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nimby Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nimby
NIH 3T3 cell
Literary usage of Nimby
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Not in My Back Yard: Removing Barriers to Affordable HousingPolitical Science (1993)
"These witnesses made clear that nimby opposition all too often leads to restrictive and ... The nimby syndrome is often widespread, deeply ingrained, ..."
2. National Evaluation of the Supportive Housing Demonstration Program: Final ...by Mark L. Matulef by Mark L. Matulef (1995)
"... Success in Overcoming the nimby Syndrome Maintaining community relations was identified by many PH project sponsors as an important element in achieving ..."
3. Industrial Minerals, Today and Tomorrow: The Raw Materials to Build the edited by G. B. Sidder (1993)
"Often the nimby syndrome mutates into the "Not In Anybody's Back Yard" or NAMBY posture of the more radical environmentalists. This contrasts sharply with a ..."
4. Transforming Housing for People with Psychiatric Disabilities by Michael Allen (2007)
"See also National Low Income Housing Coalition, "The Olmstead Factor: Integrating Housing for People with Disabilities," The nimby Report (Spring 2002), ..."
5. Energy Policies of Iea Countries: Italy 2003 Review by IEA Staff, Agencia Internacional de la Energía, Agence internationale de l'énergie, Iea, International Energy Agency, SourceOECD (Online service) (2003)
"However, these investments suffer from acute "nimby" symptoms in Italy". ... nimby: "not in my backyard", an acronym coined to reflect the lack of public ..."
6. Public Participation in Nuclear Decision-Making: Proceedings of and by International Atomic Energy Agency, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (1993)
"The major motivation for opposition, however, is the now familiar nimby, ... Going beyond nimby, we now have BANANA, "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near ..."