Definition of Nauru island
1. Noun. A small island in the central Pacific Ocean 2,800 miles to the southwest of Hawaii; in Micronesia to the west of the Gilbert Islands.
Group relationships: Federated States Of Micronesia, Micronesia, Tt
Terms within: Nauru, Republic Of Nauru
Generic synonyms: Island
Derivative terms: Nauruan
Nauru Island Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nauru Island Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nauru Island
Literary usage of Nauru island
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The World Remapped: A Summary of the Geographical Results of the Peace by R. Baxter Blair (1922)
"... Guinea 70.000 Bismarck Archipelago 15,5 70 Solomon Islands 4200 Caroline Islands \ Pelew Islands ( 960 nauru island 8 Mariana Islands ( Marshall Islands ..."
2. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"KAISER, Journ. für Oru., 1902, 256 (nauru island).—FISHER (WK), Bull. US Fish Com. for 1903, 35 (Laysan and Necker islands in migration). ..."
3. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1912)
"The principal deposits at present worked are those of Ocean Island and Nauru Island, but deposits have also been found on the islands of Makatea, Tahiti, ..."
4. The New York Times Current HistoryWorld (1920)
"Coming to the question of nauru island, Mr. Massey explained that it was the most important phosphates-bearing island in the Pacific. ..."
5. The Annual Register edited by Edmund Burke (1921)
"Parliament was again occupied with foreign affairs on June 16, when the Nauru Island Agreement Bill was under discussion. Colonel Wilson, who moved the ..."
6. The Coming Revolution in Great Britain by Gerald Gould (1920)
"... 'it became clear,' said the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Shipping, in moving the second reading of the nauru island Agreement Bill, ..."