Definition of Monongahela river
1. Noun. A river that rises in northern West Virginia and flows north into Pennsylvania where it joins the Allegheny River at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River.
Group relationships: Keystone State, Pa, Pennsylvania, Mountain State, West Virginia, Wv
Generic synonyms: River
Monongahela River Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Monongahela River Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Monongahela River
Literary usage of Monongahela river
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1899)
"To authorize the construction of a bridge over the monongahela river from the borough of Brad- dock to the township of Mifflin, Pa. ..."
2. Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by William B. Dana (1845)
"monongahela river IMPROVEMENT. We find, in the Pittsburgh Gazette and Advertiser, a highly interesting statement from a committee of the citizens of ..."
3. The Geographical and Historical Dictionary of America and the West Indies by Antonio de Alcedo, George Alexander Thompson (1814)
"... in Pennsylvania, lies on monongahela river.] [TYGER, a small river of S. Carolina, rises in the Alleghany Mountains, and, taking a s. e, course, ..."
4. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1910)
"... Brownsville, Pennsylvania, be given notice to make the following changes in its bridge crossing the monongahela river at Brownsville, Pennsylvania, ..."
5. The Improvement of Rivers: A Treatise on the Methods Employed for Improving by Benjamin Franklin Thomas, David Alexander Watt (1903)
"Locks and dams i to 7 were purchased by the United States in 1896 from the monongahela river Navigation Co. at a total cost of ..."
6. A Traffic History of the Mississippi River System by Frank Haigh Dixon (1909)
"3 on the monongahela river, wnich is approximately the total coal traffic at its origin, ... There was received at Cincinnati from the monongahela river ..."
7. Colonial Records of Pennsylvania by Samuel Hazard (1853)
"Mifflin township : Beginning at the mouth of Street's run ; thence up the monongahela river to the line of the county, and by the said line to the line of ..."
8. History of Pittsburgh and Environs, from Prehistoric Days to the Beginning by George Thornton Fleming (1922)
"works in the monongahela river built and owned by the Navigation Company is measured by ... The monongahela river, rising in West Virginia, running through ..."