Definition of Missionary station
1. Noun. An organization of missionaries in a foreign land sent to carry on religious work.
Generic synonyms: Ngo, Nongovernmental Organization
Derivative terms: Missioner
Missionary Station Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Missionary Station Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Missionary Station
Literary usage of Missionary station
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Missionary Gazetteer: Comprising a Geographical and Statistical Account ...by Bela Bates Edwards, Charles Williams by Bela Bates Edwards, Charles Williams (1832)
"It is. of greater importance as a missionary station than the one at Lahaina, except that from Lahaina we can have easier intercourse with the other islands ..."
2. The Baptist Missionary Magazine by Executive Committee, Baptist General Convention, American Baptist Missionary Union, Board of Managers (1841)
"Fatras as a missionary station. Since the notice of the failure of the missionaries' health at Patras, which appeared in the Magazine for August lust, ..."
3. Missionary Labours and Scenes in Southern Africa by Robert Moffat (1846)
"... the tragical fate of, and his party, 58, 54 Bible Societv, its generosity, 147, 102 Bethelsdorp, its commencement as a missionary station, 10 Brownies, ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by United States Supreme Court, Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company (1901)
"But the appellant, conceding that it was not i in the actual occupancy of the premises, either | as a missionary station or otherwise, at the date of the ..."
5. History of Woman Suffrage by Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan Brownell Anthony, Matilda Joslyn Gage (1881)
"Indiana missionary station—Gen. Arthur St. Clair—Indian surprises—The terrible war- whoop—One hundred women join the army, and are killed ..."
6. Journal of the Proceedings of the ... Annual Convention of the Protestant by Episcopal Church Diocese of Michigan, Episcopal Church, Diocese of Michigan (1873)
"Each and every Mission, missionary station, or Organized Parish, to which any such Missionary may be appointed within the Diocese, shall be assessed an ..."
7. History of Baptist Indian Missions: Embracing Remarks on the Former and by Isaac McCoy (1840)
"Selection of a site for a missionary station. Indian Colonization. Continuation of religious animation. Soon after my return from the eastward my health ..."