Definition of Micronesia
1. Noun. A country scattered over Micronesia with a constitutional government in free association with the United States; achieved independence in 1986.
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Terms within: Kolonia, Ladrone Islands, Mariana Islands, Marianas, Caroline Islands, Marshall Islands, Ellice Islands, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Republic Of Kiribati, Gilbert And Ellice Islands, Nauru, Nauru Island, Pleasant Island
2. Noun. The islands in the northwestern part of Oceania.
Terms within: Federated States Of Micronesia, Tt
Generic synonyms: Archipelago
Definition of Micronesia
1. Proper noun. One of the geographical subregions of Oceania. ¹
2. Proper noun. A country in Oceania. Official name: the Federated States of Micronesia. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Micronesia
1. The collective name for islands of the pacific ocean east of the philippines, including the mariana, palau, caroline, marshall, and kiribati islands. Micronesia is from the greek micro, small + nesos, island, so named because the islands in this group are much smaller than those in melanesia. Micronesia is inhabited by a mixed race of melanesians, polynesians, and some malaysians. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Micronesia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Micronesia
Literary usage of Micronesia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Bird's-eye View of the World: A Popular Scientific Description of the by Onésime Reclus, Malvina Antoinettte Howe, Forrest Morgan, Charles Hopkins Clark (1892)
"The name micronesia, or Small Islands, has been given to this part of the globe in ... It comprises: micronesia in the restricted application of the term, ..."
2. The Great Value and Success of Foreign Missions Proved by Distinguished by John Liggins (1888)
"In the annual survey of the Board's missions for 1887, published in the Missionary Herald for November, 1887, the results of the work in eastern micronesia ..."
3. The Bible in the Pacific by Archibald Wright Murray (1888)
"micronesia. WE now come to micronesia, the third of the three great divisions under which geographers have classed the islands of the Pacific. ..."
4. The One Hundredth Anniversary of the Haystack Prayer Meeting: Celebrated at (1907)
"micronesia is the smallest of the missions of the American Board, but its value to ... micronesia, then, presents in a word the spectacle of a fallen race, ..."