Definition of Michelson-morley experiment
1. Noun. A celebrated experiment conducted by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley; their failure to detect any influence of the earth's motion on the velocity of light was the starting point for Einstein's theory of relativity.
Michelson-morley Experiment Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Michelson-morley Experiment Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Michelson-morley Experiment
Literary usage of Michelson-morley experiment
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Gravitation Versus Relativity: A Non-technical Explanation of the by Charles Lane Poor, Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin (1922)
"For this reason the repetitions of the Michelson-Morley experiment recently made at Cleveland and at Mount Wilson are of especial importance: they indicate ..."
2. Modern Electrical Theory by Norman Robert Campbell (1913)
"This is the simple way out of the difficulties raised by the Michelson-Morley experiment. If from the beginning we had used a plural instead of a singular ..."
3. The Theory of the Relativity of Motion by Richard Chace Tolman (1917)
"The Michelson-Morley Experiment. In spite of all the brilliant achievements of ... This is the celebrated Michelson-Morley experiment, and to the masterful ..."
4. Calcutta Review by University of Calcutta (1844)
"AN ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION OF THE MICHELSON—MORLEY EXPERIMENT SUHAS CHANDRA CHAKRABARTY Einstein's special theory of relativity has got two postulates, ..."
5. The Modern Revolution in Physics by Benjamin Crowell (2003)
"b/Albert Michelson, in 1887, the year of the Michelson-Morley experiment. m/s relative to the sidewalk, and I run after it at 3 m/s, the dog's velocity in ..."
6. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1910)
"... abandon the theory or to explain why the second order effect predicted by the theory should not have been detected in the Michelson-Morley experiment. ..."