Definition of Mettles
1. mettle [n] - See also: mettle
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mettles Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mettles
Literary usage of Mettles
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Complete Word and Phrase Concordance to the Poems and Songs of Robert by J. B. Reid (1889)
"Dim-seen, through rising mists and ceaseless showers, Dimension, And then a' doctor's saws and whittles, Of a' dimensions, shapes, an' mettles, Dimpled, -4. ..."
2. Posthumous Works in Prose and Verse: Written in the Time of the Civil Wars by Samuel Butler, John Birkenhead, Roger L'Estrange (1715)
"... To Gold,that would for Standard pafs, Was to change mettles to his Lofs, ,/\ud bring his Gold to ..."
3. Journal of Science and the Arts by Royal Institution of Great Britain (1817)
"mettles—and their Combinations with the various Substances described in the ... The Lectures on the mettles include a succinct account of Mineralogy, ..."
4. Calendar of Treasury Papers, 1556-: Preserved in Public Record Office by Great Britain Public Record Office, Great Britain Treasury, Joseph Redington (1871)
"... I had 2 men that was skilled in mettles, I went up ; going up I paid ye guide 20s & his provisions, 5s - - 1 5 0 Since I came home by ordr of the L^ ..."
5. Mathematicall Recreations: Or, A Collection of Many Problemes, Extracted Out by Jean Leurechon, William Oughtred (1653)
"... than in theatre- Now by knowing the proportion of water and mettles ,it is found that Gold ... »j weight? different mettles , which though they is is ..."
6. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by Philadelphia Neurological Society, American Neurological Association, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association (1903)
"mettles, LH Cerebral Localization and Brain Function. NY Med. Jour., 75, 1902, pp. 969, 1042, 1093, 1129. LOVELAND, BC and MARLOW, ..."