Definition of Materia medica
1. Noun. The science or study of drugs: their preparation and properties and uses and effects.
Examples of category: Tincture, Formulary, Pharmacopeia, Decoction, Adjuvant, Percutaneous, Transcutaneous, Transdermal, Transdermic
Generic synonyms: Medical Specialty, Medicine
Specialized synonyms: Pharmacokinetics, Posology, Psychopharmacology, Toxicology
Derivative terms: Pharmacologic, Pharmacological, Pharmacologist
Definition of Materia medica
1. Noun. (medicine) the study of the origin, preparation, dosage and administration of medical drugs; the substances so used ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Materia medica
1. 1. Material or substance used in the composition of remedies; a general term for all substances used as curative agents in medicine. 2. That branch of medical science which treats of the nature and properties of all the substances that are employed for the cure of diseases. Origin: L. See Matter, and Medical. Source: Websters Dictionary (01 Mar 1998)
Materia Medica Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Materia Medica Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Materia Medica
Literary usage of Materia medica
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1907)
"materia medica FOR NURSES. By EMILY AM STONEY, late Head Nurse, Mercy Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. Third edition. Pp. 300. Philadelphia and London: WB ..."
2. A Subject Index of the Modern Works Added to the Library of the British ...by British Museum Dept. of Printed Books, George Knottesford Fortescue by British Museum Dept. of Printed Books, George Knottesford Fortescue (1891)
"SHOEMAKER (JV) Treatise on materia medica. 2vol. Phila. ... WILLIAMS (M.; Materia Medica for Medical Students, pp. 165. Lond. 1888. 8°. 7509. a. 7. ..."
3. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1893)
"D., Lecturer on materia medica at St. Mary's Hospital Medical School, London. Fourth American, from the fourth English edition. Enlarged and adapted to the ..."
4. Pharmaceutical Journal by Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (1853)
"They had been very late in taking up materia medica, but he hoped that if they once began they would follow it up continuously, so that they might have ..."
5. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1901)
"Merck's 1899 manual of the materia medica. Merck & Co., Chicago. Merck's report ready-reference. ... Practical treatise on materia medica and therapeutics. ..."
6. The Practitioner by Gale Group, ProQuest Information and Learning Company (1883)
"Tables of materia medica, a Companion to the materia medica Museum. ... to the clear and concise arrangement of the tables of materia medica which does ..."
7. The Dictionary of National Biography by Sidney Lee (1908)
"After seven years' hard work he was in 1843 elected assistant physician to Guy's, and joint lecturer on materia medica in the medical school. ..."