Definition of Lycoperdales
1. Noun. Small order of basidiomycetous fungi having fleshy often globose fruiting bodies; includes puffballs and earthstars.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Order
Group relationships: Class Gasteromycetes, Class Gastromycetes, Gasteromycetes, Gastromycetes
Member holonyms: Family Lycoperdaceae, Lycoperdaceae, Family Geastraceae, Geastraceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lycoperdales Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lycoperdales
Literary usage of Lycoperdales
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Textbook of Botany for Colleges and Universities by John Merle Coulter, Charles Reid Barnes, Henry Chandler Cowles (1910)
"(l) lycoperdales These are the true puffballs, with globular sporophores which sometimes reach 50 cm. in diameter. The peridium is distinctly two-layered ..."
2. The Mushroom Book: A Popular Guide to the Identification and Study of Our by Nina Lovering Marshall (1904)
"... CHAPTER XI: PUFFBALLS ORDER lycoperdales THE pouch fungi include all fungi which have their spores or seeds in closed chambers until maturity—that is, ..."
3. The Philippine Journal of Science by Philippines Bureau of Science (1906)
"Nov. Act. Acad. Nat. Cur. 19 (1843) Suppl. 239 pi 6. LUZON, on ground, fide Meyen, lc lycoperdales. ..."
4. Nature and Development of Plants by Carlton Clarence Curtis (1918)
"lycoperdales or Puff Balls.—These familiar FIG. 174. Cluster of common puffballs, Lycoperdon. At left three older ones have opened, permitting discharge of ..."