Definition of Lobelia dortmanna
1. Noun. Erect perennial aquatic herb of Europe and North America having submerged spongy leaves and pendulous racemes of blue flowers above the water.
Lobelia Dortmanna Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lobelia Dortmanna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lobelia Dortmanna
Literary usage of Lobelia dortmanna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Systematic Anatomy of the Dicotyledons: A Handbook for Laboratories of Pure by Hans Solereder (1908)
"The pericycle includes sclerenchyma (with wide lumina) only in lobelia dortmanna. There is no sclerenchyma in the soft bast. In Pratia montana, Hassk. and ..."
2. Plant-geography Upon a Physiological Basis by Andreas Franz Wilhelm Schimper (1903)
"497, 3), Littorella, and lobelia dortmanna. 2. Nymphaea-Hippuris type. Plants rooted in the ground, reaching the surface of the water by means of ..."
3. Comparative Anatomy of the Vegetative Organs of the Phanerogams and Ferns by Anton Bary (1884)
"... lobelia dortmanna, &c., the middle layer is soon destroyed to form lysi- ... in lobelia dortmanna there is one on each side of a median persistent plate ..."
4. Memorials Journal and Botanical Correspondence by Charles Cardale Babington (1897)
"We found in the river below the lakes Pilularia globulifera, lobelia dortmanna, and Nymphaea alba. The lakes, etc., were at least a foot higher than usual ..."
5. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica by John Henry Clarke (1902)
"lobelia dortmanna. lobelia dortmanna. (The principal indigenous British species. Habitat, shallow lakes.) N. 0. Lobeliaceae. Tincture of fresh plant. ..."
6. Extracts from the Literary and Scientific Correspondence of Richard by Richard Richardson (1835)
"8 lobelia dortmanna. L. 9 I do not know what is designed by this name, which I do not find in ... 12 lobelia dortmanna. L. 13 Isoetes lacustris. ft Huds. ..."