Definition of Liberation tigers of tamil eelam
1. Noun. A terrorist organization in Sri Lanka that began in 1970 as a student protest over the limited university access for Tamil students; currently seeks to establish an independent Tamil state called Eelam; relies on guerilla strategy including terrorist tactics that target key government and military personnel. "The Tamil Tigers perfected suicide bombing as a weapon of war"
Category relationships: Act Of Terrorism, Terrorism, Terrorist Act
Generic synonyms: Foreign Terrorist Organization, Fto, Terrorist Group, Terrorist Organization
Geographical relationships: Ceylon, Democratic Socialist Republic Of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
Liberation Tigers Of Tamil Eelam Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Liberation Tigers Of Tamil Eelam Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Liberation Tigers Of Tamil Eelam
Literary usage of Liberation tigers of tamil eelam
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Erased in a Moment: Suicide Bombing Attacks Against Israeli Civilians by Joe Stork (2002)
"But the group that has probably made greatest use of suicide bombings is the Tamil separatist group in Sri Lanka, the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam ..."
2. Technology Against Terrorism: Structuring Security (1994)
"Among Asian terrorist movements operating during the past two decades, the more prominent have included the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE); ..."
3. Playing the "Communal Card": Communal Violence and Human Rights by Cynthia G. Brown, Farhad Karim (1995)
"The largest of these was the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LITE), led by Velupillai Prabhakaran. As militant activity escalated, so did violence against ..."
4. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines (1999)
"SRI LANKA Background The Sri Lankan government has been engaged in an intense civil war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LITE) since 1983. ..."
5. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"For the past 17 years the Government (controlled by the Sinhalese, and predominantly Buddhist, majority) has fought the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam ..."
6. The Culture of Violence by Kumar Rupesinghe (1994)
"Similar allegations were made by the Sri Lankan government vis-a-vis the insurgent Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. 21. Data from William Eckhardt, ..."
7. Abdication of Responsibility: The Commonwealth and Human Rights by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch (Organization (1991)
"... members of the militant Sri Lankan separatist group, the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), which was believed responsible for the killing. ..."