Definition of Kola nut
1. Noun. Bitter brown seed containing caffein; source of cola extract.
Substance meronyms: Cola, Dope
Group relationships: Cola Acuminata, Goora Nut, Kola, Kola Nut Tree
Generic synonyms: Nut
2. Noun. Tree bearing large brown nuts containing e.g. caffeine; source of cola extract.
Terms within: Cola Extract
Group relationships: Cola, Genus Cola
Terms within: Cola Nut
Generic synonyms: Nut Tree
Kola Nut Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kola Nut Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kola Nut
kola nut (current term)
kola nut tree
Literary usage of Kola nut
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Druggist (1885)
"Notes on kola nut. THOMAS CHRISTY has just published No. ... The action of the kola nut in clarifying foul water is doubtless owing to the mucilage which ..."
2. The Medical and Surgical Reporter (1890)
"The kola nut not only contains a small portion of caffeine—the active ... M. Heckel is strongly inclined to attribute the effects of the kola nut to this ..."
3. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1892)
"46), which lead them to the conclusion that caffeine is not the only tissue-economizing principle present, but that other compounds of kola-nut likewise ..."
4. Journal of the American Medical Association by American Medical Association (1890)
"THE kola nut OF AFRICA. It has been announced that the Commissary Department of the German Army has been authorized to purchase thirty tons of the kola nut ..."
5. Edinburgh Medical Journal (1891)
"THIS PHYSIOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF THE kola nut.—We have already in previous issues of the Gazette called attention to the value of the kola nut in reducing ..."
6. In Dwarf Land and Cannibal Country: A Record of Travel and Discovery in by Albert Bushnell Lloyd (1900)
"... kola nut—Iron work—Panga Palls—Our warrior boatmen—We make rapid progress—" The European is coming "— Bangwa weapons—Choosing a tender ..."