Definition of Karelian
1. Noun. A member of the Finnish people living in Karelia in northwestern European Russia.
2. Noun. A Finnic language spoken by the people of Karelia.
Definition of Karelian
1. Adjective. Of, or pertaining to, Karelia or its people, culture or language. ¹
2. Noun. Someone from Karelia ¹
3. Proper noun. A language closely related to Finnish, spoken in Karelia, Russia and Finland. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Karelian Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Karelian
Literary usage of Karelian
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The White Sea Peninsula, a Journey in Russian Lapland and Karelia by Edward Rae (1881)
"Kern—Its founders—A perquisition—An arrest—The Kem post-office—A karelian acquaintance—The Samovar—Release of the ..."
2. Local Economic Development: A Geographical Comparison of Rural Community by Cecily Neil, Markku Tykkyläinen (1998)
"The rural areas of the karelian Republic in north-western Russia (later Karelia) have undergone a constant process of socio-economic restructuring ..."
3. Biblical Researches and Travels in Russia: Including a Tour in the Crimea by Ebenezer Henderson (1826)
"... Society—karelian Language, and Gospel of Matthew—Klin— Arrival in Moscow. HAVING spent the night of the 10th at a small village, at some distance beyond ..."
4. In Northern Mists: Arctic Exploration in Early Times by Fridtjof Nansen (1911)
"... and learned their language, allied to karelian, through coming in contact with the karelians on their journey westward round the south of the White Sea. ..."
5. The Moldovans: Romania, Russia, and the Politics of Culture by Charles King (2000)
"But it happens that a lot of "clever" leaders, because of the underdeveloped nature of karelian culture, decided that it was necessary to take the Finnish ..."
6. Finland, the Land of a Thousand Lakes by Ernest Young (1912)
"Through his religion, his laws and government the Russian karelian east of the ... karelian pedlars from the Government of Archangel stroll about in Finland ..."
7. The Nationalities of Europe by Robert Gordon Latham (1863)
"There was once a karelian who had been taken by a giant, and was kept in a castle. ... The karelian put out his eye. The giant, who now could no longer see, ..."