Definition of Iron deficiency anaemia
1. Noun. A form of anemia due to lack of iron in the diet or to iron loss as a result of chronic bleeding.
Specialized synonyms: Chlorosis, Greensickness
Generic synonyms: Anaemia, Anemia
Medical Definition of Iron deficiency anaemia
1. Hypochromic microcytic anaemia characterised by low serum iron, increased serum iron-binding capacity, decreased serum ferritin, and decreased marrow iron stores. Synonym: hypoferric anaemia. (05 Mar 2000)
Iron Deficiency Anaemia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Iron Deficiency Anaemia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Iron Deficiency Anaemia
Literary usage of Iron deficiency anaemia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: Report of the U. S. Preventive by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"Iron-deficiency anaemia: its effect on maximum aerobic power and ... Iron-deficiency anaemia and its effect on worker productivity and activity patterns. ..."
2. Digestive Diseases of the U. S.: Epidemiology and Impact edited by James E. Everhart (1994)
"... D50 iron deficiency anaemia D50.1 Sideropenic dysphagia Kelly-Paterson syndrome Plummer-Vinson syndrome D51 Vitamin 8-12 deficiency anaemia D51.0 ..."
3. Foreign Assistance: Global Food for Education Initiative Faces Challenges by Loren Yager (2002)
"Chronic iron-deficiency anaemia during the pre-school period will have cumulative adverse effects on learning variables that interfere with school ..."
4. Archaeology of the United Arab Emirates: Proceedings of the First by Daniel T. Potts, Hasan Al Naboodah, Peter Hellyer (2003)
"Genetic diseases (eg sickle-cell anaemia, thalassaemia) can also lead to iron deficiency anaemia but can be distinguished from the acquired type by ..."
5. Food Composition Data: A User's Perspective by William M. Rand (1987)
"... and to reconciling the dietary data with the high prevalence of iron-deficiency anaemia found in the region [2,11,22]. It is also interesting to note ..."
6. Mineral Tolerance of Animals by National Research Council (U. S.) (2005)
"Syndrome of iron deficiency anaemia hepatosplenomegaly, hypogonadism, dwarfism, and geophagia. Am. J. Med. 31:532-546. Prasad, AS, GJ Brewer, EB Schoomaker, ..."