Definition of Illiterate person
1. Noun. A person unable to read.
Specialized synonyms: Analphabet, Analphabetic, Functional Illiterate
Generic synonyms: Ignoramus, Know Nothing, Uneducated Person
Illiterate Person Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Illiterate Person Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Illiterate Person
Literary usage of Illiterate person
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Courts of Exchequer and by Robert Philip Tyrwhitt, Great Britain Court of Exchequer, Great Britain Court of Exchequer Chamber (1832)
"And it is ordered, "That when any affidavit shall be sworn in Court, or before the Lord Chief Baron, or any one of the Barons, by any illiterate person, ..."
2. Questioned Documents: A Study of Questioned Documents with an Outline of by Albert Sherman Osborn (1910)
"On account of its fixed character and lack of skill it is usually easier positively to identify the handwriting of an illiterate person than the writing of ..."
3. Proceedings of the Department of Superintendence of the National Educational by Dept. of Superintendence (1899)
"It will be admitted that the illiterate person knows language or speech only ... As all people do their thinking mostly in words, the illiterate person may ..."
4. Lawyers' Reports Annotated by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company (1905)
"In other words, that the insurance company may, by and through the false assurances of its agent, foist upon an illiterate person an Instrument that Is void ..."
5. The Revised Reports: Being a Republication of Such Cases in the English by Frederick Pollock, Robert Campbell, Oliver Augustus Saunders, Arthur Beresford Cane, Joseph Gerald Pease, William Bowstead, Great Britain Courts (1903)
"I do not think that the veracity or even the accuracy of an ignorant and illiterate person, is to be conclusively tested by comparing an affidavit, ..."