Definition of Horned puffin
1. Noun. Northern Pacific puffin.
Generic synonyms: Puffin
Group relationships: Fratercula, Genus Fratercula
Horned Puffin Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Horned Puffin Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Horned Puffin
Literary usage of Horned puffin
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Birds' Nests: An Introduction to the Science of Caliology by Charles Dixon (1902)
"... fissures of rocks—Various Petrels—Little Auk—horned puffin— Little Owl—Certain Parrots—Various Chats—Redstarts and Accentors—Wall Creeper—Rose-coloured ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1899)
"horned puffin. We first observed horned puffins June 20th in longitude 165° 53' W., latitude 51° 30' N. From this position until w« reached Point Hope north ..."
3. Birds of the Kotzebue Sound Region, Alaska by Joseph Grinnell (1900)
"horned puffin. This species wss quite numerous in July out in the open sea, from Bering Straits north into Kotzebue Sound. On July 9, '99, ..."
4. North American Birds Eggs by Chester Albert Reed (1904)
"Range. —Pacific Coast from Alaska to British Columbia. The horned puffin differs from the common in that the blackish band across the throat extends upwards ..."
5. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1917)
"Pallas's Murre also breeds on Egg Island in about the same numbers as the Horned Puffin but unlike that species is rarely seen in St. Michael Bay. ..."
6. Nests and Eggs of North American Birds by Oliver Davie (1900)
"The horned puffin breeds on the bleak rocky islands of the polar seas. It la found along the coast of Alaska, is common In the Northern Pacific Ocean and on ..."
7. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1905)
"Numerous gulls and shags also nest in the more accessible places, but not one horned puffin is found on the entire islet. At the report of a gun the birds ..."