Definition of Holothuria
1. Noun. Type genus of the Holothuridae.
Generic synonyms: Echinoderm Genus
Group relationships: Family Holothuridae, Holothuridae
Member holonyms: Holothuria Edulis, Trepang
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Holothuria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Holothuria
Literary usage of Holothuria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1917)
"holothuria Bruguiere, 1791. The effect of the suspension will be to retain ... Accept holothuria as dating from Bruguiere, 1791, despite the existence of ..."
2. A General Outline of the Animal Kingdom, and Manual of Comparative Anatomy by Thomas Rymer Jones (1841)
"The generative system of the holothuria is essentially similar to that found in the ... No ganglia have as yet been discovered even in the holothuria; ..."
3. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1830)
"... submit the following memoir on the subject*. * A beautiful memoir on the structure of the holothuria tubulosa by Tiedemann was published in 1816. EDIT. ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"The largest American species is holothuria Florid/ana, which abounds just below .... holothuria ..."
5. The Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal (1830)
"... a complete account of it may be interesting to naturalists, I >f following memoir on the subject!*. • A beautiful n icture of the holothuria tubulosa bv ..."