Definition of Hired man
1. Noun. A hired laborer on a farm or ranch. "A ranch hand"
Specialized synonyms: Farm Worker, Farmhand, Field Hand, Fieldhand, Drover, Herder, Herdsman, Ranch Hand, Groom, Hostler, Ostler, Stableboy, Stableman
Generic synonyms: Jack, Laborer, Labourer, Manual Laborer
Hired Man Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hired Man Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hired Man
Literary usage of Hired man
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Modern American Poetry by Louis Untermeyer (1921)
"THE DEATH OF THE hired man Mary sat musing on the lamp-flame at the table Waiting for Warren. When she heard his step, She ran on tip-toe down the darkened ..."
2. Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts by Colonial Society of Massachusetts (1902)
"These I musicali Americanisms, and .•will subjoin some examples. . . . Hired Girl for Servant Girl. hired man for Servant Man. ..."
3. St. Nicholas by Mary Mapes Dodge (1906)
"The hired man came hurrying down the path from the house and opened the gate. Fly came in with the buggy, and whinnied again in a friendly way to the hired ..."
4. North of Boston by Robert Frost (1917)
"i THE DEATH OF THE hired man MARY sat musing on the lamp-flame at the table Waiting for Warren. When she heard his step, She ran on tip-toe down the ..."