2. Noun. a cell or organism that has six complete sets of chromosomes. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Hexaploid
1. [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hexaploid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hexaploid
Literary usage of Hexaploid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Gene Expression in Field Crops: Bibliography January 1991-November 1992 edited by Janet Saunders, Robert D. Warmbrodt (1995)
"101 NAL Call No: 442.8 Z8 The expression of salt tolerance from Triticum tauschii in hexaploid wheat. Schachtman, DP; Lagudah, ES; Munns, R. Berlin, W. Ger. ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"Cyto- logical abnormalities arising from excess dosage of the long arm of chromosome 5B (5BL) of hexaploid wheat Triticum aestivum were explained by Feldman ..."
3. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1921)
"... R. pimpinellifolia X R. tomentosa var. sylvestris is found to be hexaploid. ... hexaploid ones show a partial reduction involving 14 or 28 chromosomes. ..."
4. Innovative Soil-Plant Systems for Sustainable Agricultural Practices by James Michael Lynch, James Stuart Schepers, Ilhami Ünver (2003)
"... at adequate Zn supply, tetraploid wheats (BBAA) have at least as much or produces more shoot dry weights when compared to diploid (AA) and hexaploid ..."