Medical Definition of Heterophil
1. Heterophile 1. The neutrophilic leukocyte in man; in some animals the granules vary in size and staining reaction. 2. Pertaining to heterogenetic antigens occurring in different species or to antibodies directed against such antigens. Origin: hetero-+ G. Philos, fond (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Heterophil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Heterophil
Literary usage of Heterophil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"SCAT (SHEEP CELL AGGLUTINATION TITER) Same as heterophil agglutination. A special diagnostic test for infectious mononucleosis ("mono"). ..."
2. Mammalian Models for Research on Aging by Bennett J. Cohen, Institute Of Laboratory Animal Resources, National Research Council Staff (1981)
"... Kozma et al., l974; van Zutphen and Fox, l977; Fox and Cherry, l978; Fox et al., l978; and Skow et al., l978). The rabbit neutrophil (heterophil or ..."
3. The Journal of Comparative Pathology and Therapeutics (1888)
"heterophil leucocytes were found to be sparsely scattered throughout the mesentery of the large intestine, which did not show any macroscopic lesions. ..."
4. International Medical and Surgical Surveyby American Institute of Medicine by American Institute of Medicine (1922)
"... prior to transfusion and preserved in vitro, are agglutinated by the animal's own blood. (le—283) (le—283) Studies on heterophil Antigen and Antibody. ..."
5. The Oxford Medicine by Henry Asbury Christian, James Mackenzie (1920)
"The heterophil agglutination test was negative in all 11 cases. The monotonous lymphocytic blood picture of these cases resembled that of chronic lymphatic ..."
6. Information Resources for Reptiles, Amphibians, Fish, and Cephalopods Used by D'Anna J. Berry (1994)
"NAL call number: 49 J82 Descriptors: behavior, heterophil/lymphocyte ratio, chronic stress, captivity. 65 Medicine and diseases of reptiles. ..."
7. Environmental Enrichment Information Resources for Laboratory Animals, 1965 by Cynthia Petrie Smith, Victoria Taylor, Animal Welfare Information Center (U.S.), Christine Nicol (1995)
"... Descriptors: crowding, immunosuppression, heterophil-lymphocyte ratio, housing, chicks, cage. Ishimoto, Y., T. Yamazaki, K. Kondo, and C. Yamashita ..."