Definition of Hempie
1. hempy [adj HEMPIER, HEMPIEST] - See also: hempy
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hempie Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hempie
Literary usage of Hempie
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lads' love by Samuel Rutherford Crockett (1897)
"THE SQUARING OF THE hempie. For reasons, therefore, which will now commend themselves to the meanest capacity, it would not do for me to quarrel with the ..."
2. Rob Roy by Walter Scott, David Henry Montgomery (1894)
"HEATHER-COWK, a stalk of heather. HEATHY, covered with heath. HECATE, 327. HECH, indeed. HEMP, a rope, a hangman's halter; see 242. hempie, giddy, wild ..."
3. Old Mortality by Walter SCOTT (1895)
"I was a daft hempie lassie then, and little thought what was to come o't. ... and then slept soundly after such painful agitation. hempie: giddy, wild. ..."
4. Desultory Notes on Jamieson's Scottish Dictionary by James B. Montogomerie- Fleming (1899)
"HEMPY, hempie, ii. 568. " Roguish, riotous, romping. ... I was a daft hempie lassie then, and little thought what was to come o't. ..."