Definition of Hair style
1. Noun. The arrangement of the hair (especially a woman's hair).
Terms within: Rat, Curl, Lock, Ringlet, Whorl
Generic synonyms: Hair
Specialized synonyms: Beehive, Bouffant, Haircut, Afro, Afro Hairdo, Bang, Fringe, Bob, Wave, Braid, Plait, Tress, Twist, Chignon, Marcel, Pageboy, Pompadour, Ponytail, Roach, Scalp Lock, Thatch
Derivative terms: Coif, Coiffure, Hairstylist
Hair Style Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hair Style Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hair Style
Literary usage of Hair style
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style Into Writer's Workshop by Jeff Anderson (2005)
"Mentor Text Big hair style 3: The Texan Take the teasing comb and back-comb all your hair until it looks like an electrified Persian cat. ..."
2. Sculpture I, 1952-1967 by Mary C. Sturgeon (1987)
"... in carving the stone and the more elaborate hair style suggest that the ... hair style. A terracotta head from Sparta also presents natural eyes and a ..."
3. In the Shade of an Acacia Tree: Memoirs of a Health Officer in Africa, 1945-1959 by Frank L. Lambrecht (1991)
"The traditional Mangbetu hair style is even more elaborate, requiring many ... A similar hair style was popular among Mangbetu men in the previous century. ..."
4. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1870)
"... the style crinière, or horse-hair style —a style too well known and too unvarying even in its minutest details to require special description. ..."
5. Catalogue of the Terracottas in the Department of Greek and Roman by Henry Beauchamp Walters (1903)
"Head of Youth, turned to his 1., with curly hair; style as last. Ht. 6-J- in. Flat; hollowed out at back. Coarse gritty clay. D 390. Mask of Youthful Pan. ..."
6. Island Song Lyrics Volume 7 by Larry W. Jones (2004)
"... mine will tast bike wine We'll take our own sweet time I know you'll smile in a new hair style With orchids from Maui isle When the island calls again, ..."
7. Botany of the United States North of Virginia: Comprising Descriptions of by Lewis Caleb Beck (1848)
"Stamens 5, rarely 4, the anthers adhering to the lobes of the perianth by a tuft of hair. Style single. Fruit somewhat drupaceous, dry, 1-seeded, ..."
8. Guatemala, Getting Away with Murder: An Americas Watch and Physicians for ...by Americas Watch Committee (U.S.), Anne Manuel, Physicians for Human Rights (U.S.) by Americas Watch Committee (U.S.), Anne Manuel, Physicians for Human Rights (U.S.) (1991)
"... sex, head hair style and length, nutritional status, muscular development and colour of skin, eyes and hair (head, facial and body); (iii) In children, ..."