Definition of Gun
1. Noun. A weapon that discharges a missile at high velocity (especially from a metal tube or barrel).
Specialized synonyms: Air Gun, Air Rifle, Airgun, Ack-ack, Ack-ack Gun, Antiaircraft, Antiaircraft Gun, Flack, Flak, Pom-pom, Breechloader, Cannon, Cannon, Firearm, Piece, Small-arm, Gas Gun, Minute Gun, Quaker Gun, Set Gun, Spring Gun, Whaling Gun
Generic synonyms: Arm, Weapon, Weapon System
2. Verb. Shoot with a gun.
Specialized synonyms: Machine Gun
Also: Gun Down
Derivative terms: Gunner
3. Noun. Large but transportable armament.
Generic synonyms: Armament
Specialized synonyms: Cannon, Field Artillery, Field Gun, Four-pounder
Terms within: Gunstock, Stock
Group relationships: Battery
4. Noun. A person who shoots a gun (as regards their ability).
5. Noun. A professional killer who uses a gun.
Generic synonyms: Liquidator, Manslayer, Murderer
Derivative terms: Shoot
6. Noun. A hand-operated pump that resembles a revolver; forces grease into parts of a machine.
7. Noun. A pedal that controls the throttle valve. "He stepped on the gas"
Group relationships: Aeroplane, Airplane, Plane, Auto, Automobile, Car, Machine, Motorcar
Generic synonyms: Foot Lever, Foot Pedal, Pedal, Treadle
Derivative terms: Accelerate, Throttle
8. Noun. The discharge of a firearm as signal or as a salute in military ceremonies. "A twenty gun salute"
Category relationships: Armed Forces, Armed Services, Military, Military Machine, War Machine
Definition of Gun
1. n. A weapon which throws or propels a missile to a distance; any firearm or instrument for throwing projectiles by the explosion of gunpowder, consisting of a tube or barrel closed at one end, in which the projectile is placed, with an explosive charge behind, which is ignited by various means. Muskets, rifles, carbines, and fowling pieces are smaller guns, for hand use, and are called small arms. Larger guns are called cannon, ordnance, fieldpieces, carronades, howitzers, etc. See these terms in the Vocabulary.
2. v. i. To practice fowling or hunting small game; -- chiefly in participial form; as, to go gunning.
Definition of Gun
1. Noun. A very portable, short firearm, for hand use, bullet or projectile-firing; handgun, revolver, pistol, Derringer, and so forth. ¹
2. Noun. A less portable, long firearm, bullet or projectile firing; a rifle, either manual, automatic or semi-automatic; a musket or shotgun. ¹
3. Noun. (military) A cannon with relatively long barrel, operating with relatively low angle of fire, and having a high muzzle velocity.JP 1-02. ''Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, 8 November 2010 (As Amended Through 15 March 2012)''. Page 142. ([//www.dtic.mil/doctrine/dod_dictionary/ Searchable online version]) ¹
5. Noun. Any implement designed to fire a projectile from a tube, even if it is not a firearm, e.g., air-pressure pellet gun, air rifle, BB gun, zipgun; a home-made firearm such as a potato gun. ¹
6. Noun. Any device or tool that projects a substance in a superficially similar fashion to a firearm, e.g., nail gun, squirt gun, spray gun, grease gun. ¹
7. Noun. A device or tool shaped like a pistol and operated in similar fashion by pulling a trigger with the index finger, e.g., rivet gun, screw gun, price-label gun. ¹
8. Noun. (surfing) A long surfboard designed for surfing big waves (not the same as a longboard, a gun has a pointed nose and is generally a little narrower). ¹
9. Noun. (context: cellular automata) A pattern that "fires" out other patterns. ¹
10. Noun. (colloquial) A man who carries or uses a rifle, shotgun or handgun. ¹
11. Noun. (colloquial usually plural) The biceps. ¹
12. Verb. (qualifier with “down”) To shoot someone or something, usually with a firearm. ¹
13. Verb. To speed something up. ¹
14. Verb. To offer vigorous support to a person or cause. ¹
15. Verb. To seek to attack someone; to take aim at someone. ¹
16. Verb. To practice fowling or hunting small game; chiefly in participial form: ''to go gunning''. ¹
17. Adjective. (Australia slang) Very good or skilful.(fact) ¹
18. Verb. A verb used to express future action. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Gun
1. to shoot with a gun (a portable firearm) [v GUNNED, GUNNING, GUNS]
Medical Definition of Gun
1. A weapon which throws or propels a missile to a distance; any firearm or instrument for throwing projectiles by the explosion of gunpowder, consisting of a tube or barrel closed at one end, in which the projectile is placed, with an explosive charge behind, which is ignited by various means. Muskets, rifles, carbines, and fowling pieces are smaller guns, for hand use, and are called small arms. Larger guns are called cannon, ordnance, fieldpieces, carronades, howitzers, etc. See these terms in the Vocabulary. "As swift as a pellet out of a gunne When fire is in the powder runne." (Chaucer) "The word gun was in use in England for an engine to cast a thing from a man long before there was any gunpowder found out." (Selden)
2. A piece of heavy ordnance; in a restricted sense, a cannon.
3. Violent blasts of wind.
Guns are classified, according to their construction or manner of loading as rifled or smoothbore, breech-loading or muzzle-loading, cast or built-up guns; or according to their use, as field, mountain, prairie, seacoast, and siege guns. Armstrong gun, a wrought iron breech-loading cannon named after its English inventor, Sir William Armstrong. Great gun, a piece of heavy ordnance; hence (Fig), a person superior in any way. Gun barrel, the barrel or tube of a gun. Gun carriage, the carriage on which a gun is mounted or moved.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gun Images