Definition of Groznyy
1. Noun. The capital of Chechnya in southwestern Russia; center of extensive oil fields.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center
Group relationships: Russia, Russian Federation
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Groznyy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Groznyy
Literary usage of Groznyy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"However, on August 14, 1999, a deacon of the groznyy Baptist Church was kidnaped and held for ransom in groznyy and another church member was kidnaped ..."
2. Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia: Country Studies by Glenn Eldon Curtis (1995)
"In March 1992, Gamsakhurdia convened a parliament in exile in the Chechen city of groznyy. In 1992 and 1993, his armed supporters prevented the Georgian ..."
3. Long Road to Recovery; Community Responses to Industrial Disaster by James Kenneth Mitchell (1996)
"... important industrial plants in places such as Sarajevo, groznyy, and Sukhumi - with far-reaching consequences for the economic survival of those cities. ..."
4. Information Assurance: Trends in Vulnerabilities, Threats, and Technologies by Jacques S. Gansler, Hans Binnendijk (2004)
"... if not ineffective, when fighting in cities, a lesson painfully learned by the Russians in groznyy Chechnya, in 1996 and again this past year. ..."