Definition of Gospel according to john
1. Noun. The last of the four Gospels in the New Testament.
Generic synonyms: Book, Evangel, Gospel, Gospels
Group relationships: New Testament
Gospel According To John Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gospel According To John Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gospel According To John
Literary usage of Gospel according to john
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Gospel According to St. John: The Authorized Version by Brooke Foss Westcott (1882)
"and very many also add an epithet: The holy Gospel according to John (та ... A few MSS. give the remarkable title: Of lee [holy] Gospel according to John ..."
2. An Introduction to the New Testament by Benjamin Wisner Bacon (1905)
"CHAPTER XI THE gospel according to john THE fourth Gospel is the effort of a gifted mind, Nature of schooled in ..."
3. The People's Bible: Discourses Upon Holy Scripture by Joseph Parker (1893)
"... gospel according to john. [NOTE.—"John, the younger brother of James, who with him was called to the apostleship, was the son of Zebedee and of Salome. ..."
4. An Introduction to the New Testament by Adolf Jülicher (1904)
"The Gospel according to John [Cf. works mentioned at § 23. For commentaries see Meyer, ii., ... gospel according to john."
5. The Ante-Nicene Fathers: Translations of the Writings of the Fathers Down to ...by Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, Arthur Cleveland Coxe by Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, Arthur Cleveland Coxe (1886)
"In the Gospel according to John : " I am the way, the truth, and the life : no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."2 Also in the same place : " I am the ..."
6. Notes Explanatory and Practical on the Gospels: Designed for Sunday School by Albert Barnes (1852)
"... THE gospel according to john. CHAPTER I. XN « the beginning was the Word, * and the Word was aPr.822-31. Cot.1.16,17. 1 Jno 1.1. 1. In the beginning. ..."
7. The Gospel According to St. John: An Inquiry Into Its Genesis and Historical by Hans Hinrich Wendt (1902)
"... after all, to append to the Gospel "according to John" (xxi. 24) the true version of that saying. As I do not think it probable that the main portion of ..."