Definition of Glossalgia
1. Noun. Pain in the tongue.
Medical Definition of Glossalgia
1. Painful sensations in the tongue, including a sensation of burning. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Glossalgia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Glossalgia
Literary usage of Glossalgia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Therapeutic Guide: The Most Important Results of More Than Forty Years by Gottlieb Heinrich Georg Jahr (1892)
"Pain in the tongue, glossalgia.—In two cases of this kind that I have had to treat, one of which was characterized by an intense ulcerative pain, ..."
2. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1889)
"Same as glossalgia. glossa (glos'ä), и. ; pi. glossa: (-ë). ... glashan, glassock. glossalgia (glo-sal'ji-a), ..."
3. A Pocket medical dictionary: Giving the Pronunciation and Definition of the ...by George Milbry Gould by George Milbry Gould (1920)
"The same as glossalgia, qv Glossal, global. Pertaining to the tongue. glossalgia, glos-al'-je-ak. Pain in the tongue. Glossectomy, glos-ek*-to-me. ..."
4. The Journal of Laryngology and Rhinology (1888)
"UNDER this term are included glossalgia, muscular rheumatism of the tongue, lingual neuralgia, and imaginary ulcerations (as described by Verneuil). ..."