Definition of Give-up the ghost
1. Verb. Pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life. "The old guy kicked the bucket at the age of 102"
Specialized synonyms: Abort, Asphyxiate, Stifle, Suffocate, Buy It, Pip Out, Drown, Predecease, Famish, Starve, Fall, Succumb, Yield
Generic synonyms: Change State, Turn
Related verbs: Break, Break Down, Conk Out, Die, Fail, Give Out, Give Way, Go, Go Bad, Die
Derivative terms: Decease, Decedent, Death, Death, Death, Death, Death, Death, Exit, Expiration, Going, Passing
Antonyms: Be Born
Also: Die Down, Die Down, Die Off, Die Out
Give-up The Ghost Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Give-up The Ghost Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Give-up The Ghost
Literary usage of Give-up the ghost
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biographia Borealis: Or, Lives of Distinguished Northerns by Hartley Coleridge (1833)
"Item, 1 give up the ghost." We trust there is no harm in being amused at this Testament, though no possible provocation could justify such profane scoffing ..."
2. The Philosophy of History by Augustus Schade, Rudolf Rocholl (1899)
"fire, humanism would have to give up the ghost in the gloomy dungeons of its bas- ... give up the ghost ..."
3. The Philosophy of History by Augustus Schade, Rudolf Rocholl (1899)
"fire, humanism would have to give up the ghost in the gloomy dungeons of its bas- tiles of ... give up the ghost ..."
4. The Worthies of Yorkshire and Lancashire;: Being Lives of the Most by Hartley Coleridge (1836)
"Item, I give up the ghost." We trust there is no harm in being amused at this Testament, though no possible provocation could justify such profane scoffing ..."
5. The Apocalypse Explained According to the Spiritual Sense: In which the by Emanuel Swedenborg (1894)
"... signifying those who teach good, and "elders" those who teach truths, and "city" doctrine, and "to give up the ghost" that these no longer exist. ..."
6. A New French and English Dictionary in Two Parts by William Cobbett (1833)
"... l'âme ou le dernier soupir, to give up the ghost, to expire. Rendre raison de quelque chose, to explain the cause of a thing. Rendre compte, to give an ..."
7. The Englishman's Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament by George V. Wigram (1866)
"thall give up the ghost. 27: 5. that I should justify you: till I die 14:10.yea, man giveth up the ghost, ( ) TO Ex. 12:4S.when a stranger shall sojourn Lev ..."
8. A Critical Greek and English Concordance of the New Testament by Charles Frederic Hudson, Ezra Abbot (1870)
"—give up the ghost, 136, 137. yield up the ghost, 137. — Ghost, sec Holy. gift, 23, 93«, 96, 97«, 253, 413«. ..."