Definition of Ginglymoid joint
1. Noun. A freely moving joint in which the bones are so articulated as to allow extensive movement in one plane.
Generic synonyms: Articulatio Synovialis, Diarthrosis, Synovial Joint
Specialized synonyms: Articulatio Genus, Genu, Human Knee, Knee, Knee Joint, Articulatio Cubiti, Cubital Joint, Cubitus, Elbow, Elbow Joint, Human Elbow, Interphalangeal Joint
Medical Definition of Ginglymoid joint
1. A uniaxial joint in which a broad, transversely cylindrical convexity on one bone fits into a corresponding concavity on the other, allowing of motion in one plane only, as in the elbow. Synonym: ginglymus, ginglymoid joint. (05 Mar 2000)
Ginglymoid Joint Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ginglymoid Joint Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ginglymoid Joint
Literary usage of Ginglymoid joint
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1883)
"... is a ginglymoid joint, in which some rotation is allowed; the radial portion, formed by the scaphoid articulating with a portion of the oe magnum, ..."
2. Compend of human anatomy by Samuel Otway Lewis Potter (1884)
"They are 3 in number, as follows, SUPERIOR RADIO-ULNAR ARTICULATION is a lateral ginglymoid joint, formed by the head of the radius and the lesser sigmoid ..."
3. The London Medical Gazette (1830)
"The luxation of a ginglymoid joint, in that respect, is a more serious accident than of an orbicular joint. ..."
4. A Dictionary of Medicine: Including General Pathology, General Therapeutics by Richard Quain, Frederick Thomas Roberts, John Mitchell Bruce, Samuel Treat Armstrong (1894)
"Abnormal movements, such as lateral motion in a ginglymoid joint, usually imply extensive joint-disorder. Displacement or partial dislocation, ..."