Definition of Gibbs
1. Noun. United States chemist (1839-1903).
Definition of Gibbs
1. Proper noun. An English patronymic surname from Gibb ( Gilbert). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Gibbs
1. J. Willard, U.S. Mathematician and physicist, 1839-1903. See: Gibbs-Donnan equilibrium, Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, Helmholtz-Gibbs theory, Gibbs' theorem, Gibbs free energy, Gibbs energy of activation. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gibbs Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gibbs
Literary usage of Gibbs
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1922)
"The lands devised in remainder to Early gibbs by the win of Thomas S. gibbs ... On March 5, 1918, Early gibbs being insolvent, his remainder interest in the ..."
2. The Dictionary of National Biography by Sidney Lee (1908)
"At the. opening of the house on 20 June 1787, as Mrs. gibbs, she played Biddy in ... Nothing is known of her husband, gibbs. She played at the Royalty the ..."
3. The State Records of North Carolina by North Carolina, Walter Clark, William Laurence Saunders, Stephen Beauregard Weeks (1910)
"gibbs, Jos., act for town on lands of and town coms'r, 24. 944-5. bill for town on lands ... gibbs, Robert, paid for slave outlawed and killed, 12. 72, 73. ..."
4. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register by Henry Fritz-Gilbert Waters (1902)
"Wanted, any Information concerning the family, parents anc of John gibbs, ... John gibbs seems to have been among the prominent members c Chapel, ..."
5. A Supplement to Allibone's Critical Dictionary of English Literature and by John Foster Kirk, Samuel Austin Allibone (1891)
"gibbs, George C. Reports of Cases argued and iK-termined in the Supreme Court of the ... gibbs, William and Josiah Willard. Memoir« of the gibbs Family of ..."