Definition of Geologic time
1. Noun. The time of the physical formation and development of the earth (especially prior to human history).
Generic synonyms: Time
Specialized synonyms: Aeon, Eon, Geological Period, Period, Era, Geological Era, Epoch
Geologic Time Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Geologic Time Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Geologic Time
Literary usage of Geologic time
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1894)
"geologic time indicated by the Sedimentary Rocks of North America.—Various geologists have speculated as to the age of the earth, ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"Nevertheless, paleogeography is still in its infancy, and most of the maps embrace too much geologic time, all of them showing the changes that transpired ..."
3. A Text-book of Geology: For Use in Universities, Colleges, Schools of by Louis Valentine Pirsson, Charles Schuchert (1915)
"... CHAPTER XXVI PRIMORDIAL geologic time We learned in the previous chapter what were the probable cosmic stages which led up to the origin of the earth, ..."
4. The American Geologist by Newton Horace Winchell (1893)
"Of all subjects of speculative geology few are more attractive or more uncertain in positive results than geologic time. The physicists have drawn the lines ..."
5. Field Geology by Frederic Henry Lahee (1917)
"APPENDIX I geologic time SCALE geologic time is subdivided into eras, periods, epochs, etc. The corresponding names for the rock bodies are groups, systems, ..."
6. Atlas of the World with Geophysical Boundaries Showing Oceans, Continents by Athelstan Spilhaus (1991)
"Movement of Land Masses through geologic time To show the movement, accretion and separation of masses of land through geologic time is a challenge in ..."
7. Engineering Geology: By Heinrich Ries and Thomas L. Watson by Heinrich Ries, Thomas Leonard Watson (1914)
"The names applied to the divisions of geologic time and to the rocks are not the ... We give below a list of the major divisions of geologic time and their ..."