Definition of Genus lophodytes
1. Noun. A genus of Merginae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Merginae, Subfamily Merginae
Member holonyms: Hooded Merganser, Hooded Sheldrake, Lophodytes Cucullatus
Genus Lophodytes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Lophodytes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Lophodytes
Literary usage of Genus lophodytes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"VI, 1760, 230. An exact synonym of Mergus Linn. 1758, containing the same four species and nothing else. genus lophodytes. Lophodytes REICHENBACH ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"... and Maine south to southern Lower California, Louisiana, and Florida; casual in Bermuda, Cuba, and Hawaii. genus lophodytes REICHENBACH. ..."
3. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"... but more frequently met with on the Delaware, especially in April, when the meadows are overflowed. None seen during summer. Genus LOPHODYTES. ..."
4. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"... is a common duck of the clear streams and lakes, a good diver and fisher, but rarely fat and often flavored by its favorite food. genus lophodytes. 131. ..."
5. The Natural History of Secession by Thomas Shepard Goodwin (1865)
"The genus lophodytes has the bill shorter than the head, the serrations short, and the head with a very conspicuous, compressed, circular, erect crest. ..."