Definition of Genus giraffa
1. Noun. Type genus of the Giraffidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Giraffidae, Giraffidae
Member holonyms: Camelopard, Giraffa Camelopardalis, Giraffe
Genus Giraffa Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Giraffa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Giraffa
Literary usage of Genus giraffa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Fifteen Years' Sport and Life in the Hunting Grounds of Western America and by William Adolph Baillie-Grohman (1900)
"... by having simple permanent horns, from the genus Giraffa by not having a skin over the horns, nor a long neck, and from the genus ..."
2. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1891)
"Besides this spurious fossil, half a dozen Tertiary forms have been ascribed to the genus Giraffa. The family is beyond doubt ; but though we cannot for the ..."
3. Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta by John Anderson, William Lutley Sclater, Indian Museum (1891)
"Genus GIRAFFA. Giraffa, Zimmermann Geogr. Geschichte, ii, p. 125 (1780). Camelopardalis, Gmelin Syst. Nat., i, p. 181 (1788). Giraffa Camelopardalis. ..."
4. Catalogue of the Fossil Mammalia in the British Museum, (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker (1885)
"Presented, 1842. 49717. The right calcaneum; from the Lower Pliocene of Pikermi, Attica. Purchased, 1879. Genus GIRAFFA ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1887)
"In the extinct species of its single genus, Giraffa, these characters are found in a less degree than in the existing one. The most obvious distinction ..."