Definition of Genus allium
1. Noun. Large genus of perennial and biennial pungent bulbous plants: garlic; leek; onion; chive; sometimes placed in family Alliaceae as the type genus.
Generic synonyms: Liliid Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, Lily Family
Member holonyms: Alliaceous Plant, Wild Onion, Allium Acuminatum, Hooker's Onion
Derivative terms: Alliaceous
Genus Allium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Allium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Allium
Literary usage of Genus allium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1866)
"... take as an example of the extent to which the author has carried his principle. This is the genus Allium, constituting in the present work the Order ..."
2. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science; Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1874)
"The virtues of the genus Allium depend upon an acrid principle, soluble in water, alcohol, acids, and alkalies. T'ty't'jr't Rtm'cdy /or ..."
3. Bulbs and Tuberous-rooted Plants: Their History, Description, Methods of by Charles Linnaeus Allen (1905)
"Yet, so far from this being the case, there is, perhaps, no genus of bulbous plants which contains more pretty flowers than the genus Allium, or flowers of ..."
4. Bulbs and Tuberous-rooted Plants: Their History, Description, Methods of by Charles Linnaeus Allen (1893)
"Yet, so far from this being the case, there is, perhaps, no genius of bulbous plants which contains more pretty flowers than the genus Allium, or flowers of ..."
5. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"... a genus of cruciferous plants; and has, besides, been applied to the moly section of the genus Allium. ..."
6. A Dictionary of medical terminology, dental surgery, and the collateral sciences by Chapin Aaron Harris, Ferdinand James Samuel Gorgas (1882)
"A name of a plant of the genus Allium. Garlic. Scorzonera. A genus of plants of the order Composita. Scorzonera Hispánica. The esculent vip'er's-grass. ..."