Definition of Genus Platalea
1. Noun. Type genus of the Plataleidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Plataleidae, Plataleidae
Member holonyms: Common Spoonbill, Platalea Leucorodia, Ajaia, Genus Ajaia
Genus Platalea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Platalea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Platalea
Literary usage of Genus Platalea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"Genus PLATALEA, Linnaeus. Widely distributed indeed are the members of this strikingly peculiar form; besides inhabiting most of the countries of the Old ..."
2. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus PLATALEA. Two species of this genus inhabit Australia, both of which are, I believe, peculiar to that country, where they perform precisely the same ..."
3. Birds by Eugene William Oates, William Thomas Blanford (1889)
"Genus PLATALEA, Linn., 1766. Both mandibles greatly flattened, especially anteriorly, where they become broader, spoon-shaped, and slightly curved down at ..."
4. Elements of Ornithology: Prepared for the Use of Schools and Colleges by William Samuel Waithman Ruschenberger, Henri Milne-Edwards, Achille Comté (1845)
"A spoon-shaped bill, as in the genus Platalea. Nail at the tip of the bill, Fig. 22. Fig. 12. A compressed bill, as in Geese. Fig. 13. ..."