Definition of Genus Pipistrellus
1. Noun. Nearly cosmopolitan genus of very small bats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Vespertilionidae, Vespertilionidae
Member holonyms: Pipistrel, Pipistrelle, Pipistrellus Pipistrellus, Eastern Pipistrel, Pipistrellus Subflavus, Spipistrellus Hesperus, Western Pipistrel
Genus Pipistrellus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Pipistrellus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pipistrellus
Literary usage of Genus Pipistrellus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller, United States National Museum (1912)
"RANGE.—North America north of Mexico, from the Atlantic to the Pacific; probably not breeding south of the transition zone. Genus PIPISTRELLUS Kaup.2 1829. ..."
2. British Mammals: An Attempt to Describe and Illustrate the Mammalian Fauna by Harry Hamilton Johnston (1903)
"GENUS: PIPISTRELLUS It is not clearly established that the differences between the bats of the preceding genus and those of Pipistrellus are generic in ..."
3. The Families and Genera of Bats by Gerrit Smith Miller (1907)
"... the peculiar short, broad ears it shows greater specialization than some of the genera with more highly modified teeth. Genus PIPISTRELLUS Kaup. 1829. ..."
4. The Mammals of Colorado: An Account of the Several Species Found Within the by Edward Royal Warren (1910)
"... eight miles above New Castle, and Green Mountain Falls (Warren); Salida (Frey); Boulder (in Museum of University of Colorado). Genus PIPISTRELLUS ..."