Definition of Genus Icteria
1. Noun. New World chats.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Parulidae, Parulidae
Member holonyms: Chat, New World Chat
Genus Icteria Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Icteria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Icteria
Literary usage of Genus Icteria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Life-histories of the Birds of Eastern Pennsylvania by Thomas George Gentry (1876)
"It was formed to accommodate the North America genus Icteria and its two tropical allies. ... The genus Icteria is larger than any other ..."
2. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"N. Am. Eds., 1887, 525. Type, as designated by the author, Geothlypis poliocephala Baird. genus Icteria. Icteria VIEILLOT, Ois. Am. Sept., I, 1807, iv, 85. ..."
3. Report of the Secretary for Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1863)
"... affects thickets, near water, and feeds on shelly-winged beetles, sometimes on berries and seeds. 45. genus Icteria, (Vieill., 1790.) 46. ..."
4. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"genus Icteria. Vieillot. The characters of thie genus are those of the sub -family given above. ..."
5. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"Pro bably prefers cedar swamps and similar localities, which may account for its so seldom being detected. Genus ICTERIA. ..."